Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Upcycled Necklace

I saw this necklace on J.Crew and thought it'd be super easy to make.  I was right!  I went to a thrift store and bought this 3-strand necklace (score! that means I could make 3 necklaces from 1!)

Then I headed to JoAnn and bought 3 different colors of ribbon (3/4-1 yd. works best)

 I got all this for $7.69 :)


Then I got to work separating the strands with a needle nosed pliers. Soon I got this...
Then I chose one of the strands and folded it over onto itself a few times 
Connect each end together so the multiple strands form one.  You can connect it with a link from the necklace or your own metal loop. 
Each end should look like this.  Then, I tried to make my own loop out of wire...
 It kind of worked... after I put the ribbon on I realized it didn't look so hot, so I re-did it with a metal loop like this one:

After you cut your ribbon, sear the ends with a flame. 
 Then tie on the ribbon ends to the loops you're using.

I did the same process with the next two strands.  Tada!



No comments:

Post a Comment