Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rhubarb Cobbler


What you need:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
2 c. 1/4" pieces rhubarb
1 c. hot water
1 c. sugar
Cinnamon
 
What to do:
Melt butter in 9" square or round pan. 
 
Make a batter of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and milk. Spoon over the melted butter. 
Looks kinda gross, I know :)

 
Place rhubarb over the batter. 

Stir the 1 cup sugar into the hot water until dissolved. Pour over rhubarb. 
 
Sprinkle with cinnamon. 
 
At this point I was pretty nervous about the contents of the cobbler.  I went back and double checked the recipe.  I measured and added everything correctly, but it looked realllllly liquidy.  Maybe it'll evaporate in the oven? 

 
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
 
Took it out and it looked pretty good... from the top.  When I got down to eye-level this is what I saw:
 If you look closely you can see that the bottom layer is still liquid.  Shoot.  Now I don't believe I've ever made a cobbler before and I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be watery, so I made a quick phone call to mom... "Are cobblers supposed to be liquidy?"  We decided maybe after it cooled down things would look a little better- and they did.  :)  If I made this again, I'd probably change the 1 cup of water to 1/2-3/4 cup instead.  Still tasty though!

No comments:

Post a Comment